I want the internet to be slightly better and write about surveillance capitalism and using digital technology responsibly.
persistent urging of a political or social cause or theory before the public.
a schemer, intriguer, or plotter.
My blog has changed emphasis a number of times and is currently home to posts about promoting responsible technology and a slightly better internet.
Latest blog posts
Latest podcast episodes
- Episode 5: Adrian Cochrane is a web browser developer working on the Odysseus browser for Linux and Rhapsode, an ‘audio browser'.
- Episode 4: Sarah Kiden is a researcher and technologist studying the impact of Internet of Things (IoT) technology on local communities.
- Episode 3: Rob has changed his website to reduce his digital waste and make his design work more sustainable and responsible.
- Episode 2 : Finn Brownbill is the Head of Marketing for Mojeek – the world's alternative search engine.
- Episode 1: Sam Macbeth is the Tech Lead for Cliqz where he has developed user-empowering, and privacy-preserving software in the Cliqz browser.
Read and listen to
The Age of Surveillance Capitalism is an international best seller which explains how big tech companies have stripped us of our decision rights.
The Amnesty report Surveillance Giants explains how the business model of big tech is an unprecedented ongoing threat to global human rights.
Techtonic on WFMU
Techtonic hosted by Mark Hurst on WFMU, is a weekly radio show which covers “our shift to a digital future” and is constructively critical of Silicon Valley.
IRL: Online life is real life. This podcast hosted by Manoush Zomorodi for Mozilla, covers subjects like privacy breaches, hacking, cyber bullying and fake news.
Small Tech Foundation
Irish based Not-for-profit which advocates for and builds small technology to protect personhood and democracy.
Exodus Privacy Project
Resource which lets you check your Android apps for hidden tracking and other nasty stuff they didn’t tell you about.
Have a look at the tracking policy page